Get out your high-heeled sneakers, Baby--it's time to think of holiday finery. This week in the House & Holidays Plan, we'll declutter, organize and clean closets and clothing care areas.
Think ahead to the holidays: will the family be able to strut their stuff all season long? A family wardrobe check makes sure everybody's covered (literally) for the season's events. Decluttering family clothing helps us add needed clothing items to the gift list or shopping list in good time to replace worn or out-grown clothing before the season.
Rounding out the week with holiday prep chores, we work on Christmas cards, brainstorm ideas for Secret Santa celebrations and begin catalog or Internet shopping.
Ready? Time to get cracking ... on Wardrobe Week!
This Week's Focus
Clothing Care Areas and Clothes Closets
Catching up on the clothes closet is our focus this week, and it's high time! With Autumn bringing cooler weather and the holidays ahead, it's time to assess our family's wardrobe.
While we're focused on clothing, we'll also clean, declutter and organize any areas devoted to clothing care. Whether it's a laundry area, a sewing corner or clothing storage, this week will see us clean and organize the areas where we care for clothing.
In holiday prep, we'll think ahead to "Secret Santa" or classroom gifts, focus on gift ideas for family members and begin catalog shopping.
Get inspired for Wardrobe Week with these resources:
- Changing Seasons: Clothes Closet Declutter
- Lighten the Load: Laundry Systems Analysis
- State of the Closet: Pre-Holiday Wardrobe Check!
- Three Tips for Catalog Shopping
This Week's Household Checklist
- Tackle family clothes closets. With cooler weather on the way, a seasonal clothes closet declutter is in order. Make room for holiday finery as you sort and toss summer's stained garments.
- Declutter, clean and organize clothing care areas. From laundry room to sewing basket, it's time to make a clean sweep of clothing care areas. Declutter the laundry room, then clean and organize any other household area devoted to clothing care. Make it easy to do the wash, press a dress or sew on a dangling button ... fast!
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
- Check family wardrobes. Time for a pre-holiday wardrobe check! Fill out the family wardrobe worksheet, and put any "To Buy" items on your shopping list.
- Plan photo outfits. Check condition and fit for family photo outfits. Save time and tears on photo day!
- Update individual "gift suggestion" lists for each family member. As you check wardrobes, record current clothing sizes, colors and preferences on the Gift Idea Planner form for each family member. Up-to-date information means fewer gift returns on December 26th!
- Clear out the coat closet. Colder weather plus holiday guests can make for cramped quarters in the family coat closet. Add extra hangers, and make space for guests' coats, hats and umbrellas.
- Brainstorm ideas for Secret Santa or 12 Days exchanges. Workplace, school or social group gift exchanges should be small and sweet. Brainstorm gift ideas now.
- Begin shopping catalogs or the Internet. Ordering early pays off if you shop online or through catalogs. Begin now to spread the financial burden of gift-giving and build up reserves in the gift closet.
- Continue working on Christmas cards Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. Complete one section this week--then check progress against the goal. You should be more than half-way there ... and on track to finish before November 15.